From LINKS Community Center
Publishing Organisation:EENA a.s.b.l.
Audience experience level
Disaster Management Phase
- During emergencies and disasters, the challenge is to cope with either the lack of information or an information overload.
- The social media world with its crowdsourcing approach has options to offer to overcome this issue, through the digital volunteers.
- VOST and other groups can provide support
- in hoax and abusive behaviour detection
- in monitoring multiple channels
- in amplification of information, and
- can perform specific missions and tasks requested by an agency or emergency response organisation (EROs),
- including sometimes even taking over SM accounts in crisis situations.
- Building on the relationships and the agreements established with digital volunteers before the emergency can greatly benefit all parties during a crisis.