Audience experience level
Disaster Management Phase
The role of social media in crisis communications
During a crisis, social media can help brands:
- Communicate updates to your audience;
- Support people who need help or information;
- Listen and learn about current events and what people need from your brand.
- Tips for communicating on social media during a crisis or emergency
Make sure your social media policy includes the following:
- An up-to-date emergency contact list. Not just your social media team but legal advisors and executive decision-makers, too.
- Guidance on accessing social account credentials. Where is that information, and how can someone find it?
- Guidelines for identifying the scope of the crisis (i.e., is it global or local, does it affect your operations, does it affect your customers, and to what extent?)
- An internal communication plan for employees.
- An approval process for your response strategy.
Social media crisis communications plan template
Get a social media crisis communications plan in place while everything is business-as-usual. That way, you’ll be able to jump into action ASAP when life goes sideways. get started with a crisis communication plan template for social media.
- Assess potential crises
- Potential questions and responses
- Posting outlets and schedules
- Key stakeholders
- Guidelines for social media