Publishing Organisation:ISO/TC 292 Security and resilience
Audience experience level
Disaster Management Phase
This document provides guidance on how social media can be integrated into communication in emergency management.
- Having effective communication among organizations and with the public are important aspects of emergency management.
- It is important that organizations recognize the potential benefits and threats inherent when using social media in their communication strategy, including crisis communication.
- Social media can improve situational awareness and communication capability and help citizens support each other during an emergency or crisis.
- Social media can also spread inaccurate information regarding an incident and the response to an incident.
- Organizations that have the capability to monitor and use social media can take advantage of the potential benefits and counteract the potential negative consequences that can arise from social media.
Glossary of terms related to security and resilience
Note: Only informative sections of standards are publicly available. To view the full content, you will need to purchase the standard from your national ISO member or the ISO Store.